Friday 8 December 2017

Tis The Season Christmas Challenge at That's Crafty!

Hello everyone, I hope you're keeping warm in the current freeze. I've been staying warm as I've been running about with all I've had to do over the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to Christmas and especially just after when I might finally have some time to slow down!
My new cooker is being delivered tomorrow so it's only a couple of days with fish and chips etc. It's been so long since I last had those and although they were yummy, I ate far too many chips!

We have a new challenge today over at That's Crafty! Challenge Blog and this one is the Christmas one where we'd like to see everything seasonal.
My inspiration is a rather traditional style mixed media Christmas wreath but there are some elements that have a vintage vibe so the post is a bit picture heavy and you may need a cuppa before you read it!


I'll show you first how the tree was made as I had such fun creating with this and it's proof the That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints really do what they say!


I covered the greyboard tree with strips of broderie anglaise trim, gluing it on with DecoArt Matte Medium. The base was covered in texture paste which I drew a pattern in with a cocktail stick to resemble bark.


I then trimmed off the overhanging bits to reveal a rather pretty tree.


Now came the fun part which was to paint my tree. I first gave it a couple of coats of multi surface green and then added highlights with Antique Gold. I painted the tree trunk with chestnut brown and charcoal shimmer paint. I was rather pleased with the pretty effect the gold gave.

I painted the MDF wreath (the medium sized one from the set) with Christmas Red and then used the Poinsettia Tree stencil to add a pattern with the antique gold paint.

I painted some of the greyboard elements that you see below with various multi surface plain and metallic paints and some shimmer paints, adding in some textured buttons which I painted and threaded with baker's twine tied in a bow.



My final embellishments were some little MDF hearts which had the same treatment as the tree and were painted green, gold and purple to tone in with my other items.


I tied some gold ribbon through the top to finish.

I hope you can join us as there are lots more new goodies of That's Crafty! brand going in the shop as we're doing the One Day Special on Hochanda TV today with a bundle of amazing goodies including the most gorgeous stamps and stencils and I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed working with them. The challenge prize is, as always, a voucher for the online shop and all you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is to enter!

I'll be back in a while as I'm sharing the first of my Hochanda samples over at That's Crafty! Blog today and I can't wait to show you!
See you soon,
Fliss xx

5 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Love your project Tutorial Fliss, it shows those hidden elements that at times can get a little lost within photography. Beautiful take on Tis the Season a beautiful way to showcase so many techniques...
Warm Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Good Luck with the New Cooker :)

Melina Dahl Minas kreativa said...

Wonderful wreath 😍

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wow that’s such a clever idea with the Christmas tree Fliss, I had no idea it was lace!!
Hugs
Donna xx

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - I really didn't think that was lace at first glance - it's such a clever way to decorate your tree! Brilliant little Christmas wreath.
Alison x

Craftychris said...

What a wonderful wreath! I love how you have decorated the tree, such a cool idea to use the lace. Fabulous tutorial, thank you! xxx