Sunday 24 February 2013

Not Just For Christmas!

Good morning everyone, hope you're all having a lovely weekend. If you're wondering about my post title it's because it's time for a new challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenges and the theme for the fortnight is a colour one - Red, Black and Brown.
My first thought when I saw this was robins and this is how my card came about as I decided that robins and holly aren't just for Christmas lol. You'll have to let me know what you think!


My card is quite a simple one as my first effort went rather wrong and ended up in the bin so I then decided that a simpler style would suit the image and paper scrap I wanted to use much better.
The stripy paper which came from my bits box was made using Barn Door and Frayed Burlap Distress inks repeatedly for a grungy look.
I stamped the robin (Artistic Outpost - Birds Of A Feather) with Memories Artprint Brown on thick cartridge paper and coloured the image with watercolour pencils. I trimmed it down and added a red and a black mat.
I added the stripy paper to the kraft card blank after matting it on black card. I then embossed kraft card with the Cuttlebug holly spray folder and cut it out. I swiped the raised areas with Vintage Photo Distress ink.
I assembled the card as you see, twisting the holly round the image panel.

The Design Team have made a very inspiring array of creations to show just how many things you can create with the colours.
Have fun!

Hugs, Fliss xx

Thanks to Terry, I'm also linking this up to the Artistic Outpost February Referral Challenge

24 comments:

Peanut said...

I love what you've cooked up here, Fliss. Lovely warm colours for winter.
xxx Asha

Brenda Brown said...

Love how you have used the colour mix Fliss and the robin is gorgeous any time of the year.
Happy Sunday.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Fliss...I think Kraft card is a great addition for the brown, and the gorgeous Robin image really pops with the red and black matting! Lovely, Fliss
Dot x

Suzi B said...

I think it makes a great "winter" card. Love the robin image and the prickly holly.
Suzi B xx

Anonymous said...

Fab card Fliss ! I think that the robin is the perfect choice for this colour combo and the holy looks perfect ! Sue C x

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card, Robins always look good, in real life and on cards! Hugs, Valerie

Mrs.B said...

Hi Fliss, Gorgeous card, love the image and layout, it makes a great 'male' card.
Avril xx

Ephemera said...

Hi Fliss, you are certainly right! Your card is fabulous and the use of the muted colours, makes your lovely robin a perfect card for anytime of year. Have a lovely day. xx

Sally H said...

A gorgeous card, Fliss! Love that colour combo and the robin too.

Joan said...

Lovely card Fliss,one of my favourite stamps and what a good way to use the holly folder ,mine has never been used as I could never work out what to do with it,now I know, thanks!

Joan

Rose said...

I think this is gorgeous Fliss, love how you've done the holly, and the striped panel and robin too.

Rose x

Deborah said...

It's cold enough to be Christmas! So why not :-) It's a gorgeous card, Fliss.

Terry said...

Fliss, Robins and Holly work so well combined! This is a gorgeous card and I love that AO Robin! Have a wonderful Sunday! Hugs!

BTW, you can link this up to AO's monthly challenge! Would love to see this over there! http://artisticoutpost.blogspot.com/2013/02/artistic-outpost-february-referral.html

Jacqueline said...

The perfect card for a winter birthday - love the earthy colours and your robin is just gorgeous - Jacqueline xx

Meggymay said...

Beautiful card, I love robins at any time of the year.
Yvonne x

Yvonne Garner said...

A beautiful non Christmas card Fliss! Have a great week.

brenda said...

Gorgeous card Fliss and great bird image.

B x

Ellie Knol said...

Love your card. Great coloring too! Have a great week.

PS don't ever throw anything away! They tend to make the most beautiful creations in the end!!

xxx Ellie xxx

Jenny Marples said...

So agree with you - robins aren't just for Christmas. We have one which is the only thing bringing any colour and cheer to our garden at the moment. Love your card Fliss, hugs Jenny x

Andrea W said...

Delightful card! I love the bird and how you used the colors. Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

It is so true, we often store away such stamps or stamps with wintry scenes which is silly when you think about it.
This would make a beautiful birthday card for someone celebrating a winter birthday.
Wishes
Lynne

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's gorgeous, a great image.

Michelle said...

This is gorgeous ! I am becoming a follower. :)

Esther said...

Such a sweet little robin - definately not just for Christmas !!Lovely card Fliss...Esther xx