Tuesday 2 October 2012

A Little Serendipity

Hello folks, I'm back posting earlier than expected as I jumped online earlier today for a quick trawl and then got a HUGE surprise when I saw my MMM team mate Mynnette's Technique Tuesday October challenge pop up which is the reason for this post and the title.
You may remember I made an altered shadow box recently for Fashionable Stamping with a sewing theme where I revisited a technique I learnt many years ago from the lovely ladies at Magenta. I called my variation Florentine as the background I made resembles the type of Bargello they do in Florence which simply involves slightly thinner strips and starting the pattern in the middle then moving out to each side, dropping down once each time.
I made a tutorial for blogging friend Buttons and this card was made with some of the resulting pieces so all I had to do to finish off was add a sentiment and the little butterfly.


For my card I used inked and stamped strips made with a variety of leaf and floral stamps in pinks, greens and browns. I trimmed the edges of the finished bargello piece with pinking shears.
I stamped the lovely bird cage collage by Crafty Individuals with Archival coffee ink and coloured it with a mix of Promarkers, pencils and inks. I stamped the B Line Designs butterfly with the same ink and coloured this with a watercolour pencil. The sentiment by Papermania was stamped in brown, die cut and inked.
I assembled the card as you see with a panel of textured kraft card and a scrap of cream crochet lace.

I thought you might also like to see a photo of a piece of framed artwork from my lounge which I made quite some time ago before I had a blog. I call it Joseph's Coat and you'll see why I think!


You might need to click on the photo see see it properly as it's quite large and it wasn't possible to get a larger pic on here.

Hope you like these Mynnette and I'm linking them to Technique Tuesday.
Hugs, Fliss xx

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card, love how you have used the material strips. Your triptych is wonderful! Hugs, Valerie

Maggie said...

Fabulous card Fliss love the effect you have made with the stamped strips.

Anonymous said...

Lovely card Fliss1 Beautiful colours and love the image!
Pearl x

Mynn xx said...

Stunning card, Fliss!!! Serendipity, indeed!!! LOVE the gorgeous colors and the vintage feel and your artwork is amazing, too! Thank you SO MUCH for joining us at Technique Tuesday--we love having you and appreciate your support! :) Happy stamping!

Anonymous said...

Fliss
Such patience required especially for your wall art.
Gorgeous card, the CI stamp works so beautifully with your design.
Wishes
Lynne

Jenny Marples said...

And Buttons hangs her head in shame that she hasn't posted anything with this technique on yet:(( Almost spookily I visited another blogger about 10 minutes ago and mentioned it there!! Fate. So watch this space - infact I promise to use it this week. There, challenge set.
Mind you, I'll have to go some to get anywhere near as good as you Fliss. It's the thin strips methinks, together with that beautiful birdcage. You are such a talented crafter and source of inspiration. Thank you for sharing, hugs Buttons x

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous card Fliss with great colourful strips. Love your art too.
Hugs Brenda xox

Sally H said...

This is stunning, Fliss! I love it! Such a gorgeous colour combo

Unknown said...

Floss this is amazing! The pattern you created with the Bargello pattern is exquisite! The papers are gorgeous. I love this amazing card! Thank you for playing with us at Technique Tuesday.
Hugs
Ellen

Katy said...

Wow! This is just stunning. Love how you used the technique and the rest of your card. Beautiful! Thank you so much for joining us at Technique Tuesday! :)

Zue said...

It is a beautiful card and your framed art is amazing...was there ever a time before blogging...seems like we have been blogging forever:)
xx

Karen Petitt said...

Wow Fliss this is stunning! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Mynnette's Technique Tuesday this month. We really appreciate the fact that you take the time to come and 'play' along with us. I hope that you come and play with us again, next month too!
I love the papers you've made and I would never have thought to use stamp and ink to make my own - you've opened my eyes to another possibility with this technique hugs Karen.

Kim B said...

Your card is just beautiful! Have a wonderful day. Kim xx

BJ said...

Hi Fliss, guess what I got here from Button's blog and was wondering where I could find the turorial for the Florentine/Bargello technique. Beautiful work. BJ